Having a month dedicated to Emotional Intelligence makes me very happy; however we need to do more than give lip service to the importance of our emotional well-being. We need to learn, attend, and practice on a daily basis. We need to care for ourselves emotionally with identifying, acknowledging, accepting, and valuing our emotional experience. Emotion is key to our sense of aliveness and vibrancy. It’s key to our satisfaction and zest for life. It’s key in creating loving, happy relationships. Here are some of my favorite resources for developing and growing your emotional intelligence:
- Learning to Love Yourself – Gay Hendricks (a classic by one of my favorite teachers and writers)
- Your Destiny Switch – Peggy McColl (a wonderful guide in understanding how mastering your key emotions is connected to creating the life you want)
- Raising Your Emotional Intelligence – Jeanne Siegel (another classic practical and accessible guide)
- Raising An Emotionally Intelligent Child: The Heart of Parenting– John Gottman, Joan Declaire, Daniel Goleman (All parents – and grandparents- should read this book. It will make a big difference your life with children.)
- Daring Greatly – Brene Brown (a brilliant new book by an masterful researcher who gives herself fully to supporting the best in everyone.)
May you greet all of your emotions like a friend bringing a gift to your door.